Monday, March 31, 2008

9 to 5

As I sit here putting the finishing touches on the production binder for Don't Russian, I realize one thing...

There is not much time for sleep.

I'm not really bothered by it, since this is a profession that I am choosing. If I wanted plenty of sleep I would go work a 9 to 5 job.

The thing is, we don't do that as filmmakers. I am constantly in contact with my group, and other groups, (and for some reason everyone calls me at the same time!) I am up many hours of the night, sending and recieving e-mails from anyone throughout the day. I think my phone bill will be rather high this month...yuck.

If you are a passionate filmmaker, you think about a project all day. You constantly tweak and improve the concepts. You make plot and character changes that alter the experience. Then, when all is said and done, you go back home and you think about it some more.

We are on the ball 24/7.

Am I a workaholic? Say what you will, but I am constantly on the move, and I am finding it very rewarding.

Before I get back to my work, I must recommend the film Gone Baby Gone. A pleasant surprise of Ben Affleck's directing abilities, not to mention that his younger brother Casey had a solid performance in the lead role. It is ultimately a moral story that will leave you guessing until the end of the movie, and thinking about it long after the credits have rolled.

DM

No comments: