Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Reflection

It's been a pretty hectic couple of weeks, but very productive, nonetheless.  We are in the final stretch of the first year at Flashpoint, and I am already so busy that my schedule has filled the summer.


In fact, my schedule actually filled up way back at the end of January.

After being here for a year, and reflecting on my time at Flashpoint, I can proudly say that it is much more than a school.  I don't feel like I come here to do school work, I come here to better myself as a filmmaker, and as a person.  I am in a workplace, and I work with students and faculty to bring projects together.

I have been on 3 internships, two of which will continue into the summer, and I have worked on at least 10 short films over the course of the last 9 months.  I have set up and run a weekly film screening for the school and crafted a plan for a student government.  I am tired, but I am adjusting, and I feel far more qualified to be in this business than I did a year ago.

What Flashpoint Academy provides now for me is a path, which is my choice, of course.  I just don't know what it should be.  So, as we reach the end of the first chapter at Flashpoint, the time for reflection has begun.

A decision soon,

DM

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the school hours? -I heard it was 55 hours, not 40. And, what is bothering me, how hectic are the courses (in film)? Do they make you work all-day long, and never give you (and other students) a breather. That's not right. Do you have to pay for both lunch and dinner?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel Meincke said...

School hours are what you put into it. Most students put in between 30 and 40, since there are lab times where you do not have to be in class. They really don't MAKE you do anything, but remember that if you want to be involved in the film business, then you have to put in some extra time, even if it means a 55-65 hour work week every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Flashpoint sounds like a tough, and unfit school. I can tell you from my experience, schools that newly open, and have qoals in mind, tend to fail their original quotas and fall into something quite different. I really don't think this school is going to last long.

If I were you, I would go to the Illinois Institute of Art. They have a great film program; you can earn a Bachelor's Degree, instead of a Certificate, and get ahead in the film industry by doing things that Flashpoint can't offer.

Anonymous said...

Hi, bobbyboy, again.

I forgot to ask a few questions:

How many students are enrolled at the school, right now? Is the film program challenging and stressful? -And I mean STRESSFUL. How are the teachers: do they argue if you, the student, do something wrong (i.e. making mistakes, failures)? And what is it, exactly, the school expects from you - the student.

I would much appreciate if you could answer my questions, Thanks.

bobbyboy

Daniel Meincke said...

Right now there are 130 students in the school, and I think around 250 will be joining next year. The film program is very intense, and they're not shy about telling you that. It can be stressful at times, but filmmaking in general is stressful.

The teachers are awesome. They are understanding, and extremely helpful. Even with their busy schedules, they make time to help you through your projects and answer any questions you may have. If projects fall through, than the best thing you can do is try again, and they will support you in your effort.

Mr. Jones-Smith-Miller-Sanchez said...

Hey homie. I just started up a new blog. Ironically about reflection as well. My posts will be less personal considering for legal reasons I must keep significant amount of ambiguity for my students' sake as well as mine.
I miss you bud.
Scott