Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Film Army...



A few weeks ago I attended a shoot in Chicago for a short film. It was being shot in the very studio where I hope to be working in the near future on some of my own films. Although I was there for no more than 6 hours, there was plenty to take in.

That evening I thought about what I had learned throughout the day by sending a short journal entry to one my future teachers. After thinking about it for pretty close to an hour, I decided to write about the collaborative effort involved in film.

When working with my friends on short films during high school and college, I knew that we had to work as a team to successfully put something together. But it took an experience like this recent film shoot to show me how necessary it is for everyone to do their part. Every person had a job to do that they would squeeze in between takes. Then, as expected, everyone quiets down when the camera starts rolling. The director must rely on the group of people that help bring the story to life, since he or she cannot do it alone.

As a director, if you want to realize your vision, you need an army to make it happen.

DM

No comments: